Each year, as Earth Day 2023 approaches, we reflect on our efforts to minimize our environmental footprint. Not only do we track recycling metrics, but we also assess and update protocols for energy use, responsible forest management, and waste reduction.
Mutual inspiration. If through our ongoing commitment to sustainability we inspire even a few other businesses to do what we have done, the benefit to the planet grows exponentially, and everyone wins. Innovation is born through conversation. We want to hear what other organizations are doing! The more we talk about our practices as a community, the more we all end up learning.
Sold on sustainability. Your customers probably want to know what your sustainability practices are. Using environmentally conscious vendors in your supply chain, considering alternative substrates for packaging like paperboard boxes, and requesting recycled materials, you send the message that you are going the extra mile.
Check out the cool vendors we use for promotional printing. These purposeful partners create perfect green giveaways!
First Insight and the Baker Retailing Center at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania recently conducted a buyer research study. They learned that in just two years, “Gen X consumers’ preference to shop sustainable brands increased by nearly 25% and their willingness to pay more for sustainable products increased by 42%.” Forbes reported that “In fact, consumers across all generations—from Baby Boomers to Gen Z—are now willing to spend more for sustainable products. Just two years ago, only 58% of consumers across all generations were willing to spend more for sustainable options. Today, nearly 90% of Gen X consumers said that they would be willing to spend an extra 10% or more for sustainable products, compared to just over 34% two years ago.”
A majority of consumers (88%) say that they check the sustainability aspect of a product before at least some purchases. Sustainability factors, such as product material and packaging, were rated as the most common aspects consumers check for while shopping.
Utilizing sustainable, environmentally friendly packaging isn’t just good for the planet –it makes smart business sense. B&B specializes in producing paperboard-based packaging, including folding cartons, point-of-sale displays, inserts, and sleeves. We further improve your packaging’s life-cycle impact by applying thoughtful planning – versioning and variable data, using recycled materials inside and out, and innovative design to minimize overall materials usage and waste.
COMMITTED TO RECYCLING
We are happy to provide our clients with more details about how partnering with B&B Print Source helps to keep your company’s environmental impact low. Here are just a few of the practices we have implemented to ensure a sustainable future to better our community for generations to come:
General Press Practices
- All of our offset processes and PMS inks are vegetable-based.
- The direct-to-plate system installed is water soluble, eliminating the need for harsh chemicals.
- Our two state-of-the-art KBA presses use the Sentinal Ink Management System. This ensures consistency of color and reduces ink waste.
- Fewer solvents are used in the cleaning process, minimizing the amount of paper needed.
- Our multi-color presses have computer-interfaced ink fountain keys getting us up to color quickly and efficiently.
Large Format and Signage Practices
- We recycle 90% of our trim and waste.
- Recyclable substrates & materials
- Falcon Board
- C1S, C2S cardstock for point-of-sale signage
- Presses use UV LED lamps to set the inks, which uses less energy.
- The Canon Arizona flatbed press and Colorado roll printer use minimal ink at startup and while in production.
Renewable & Efficient Energy
- Our energy source is 100% Wind Power. Our purchase of wind power credits is equal to the amount of electrical power we use in our production facility.
- We have installed low-energy LED High Bay 5000K lighting in both facilities.
- The production floor is on a programmable thermostat to regulate heating and cooling.
We do all this while striving for the highest print quality and outcomes. Feel free to ask us about our practices, and let us know if you have any suggestions. We’re always happy to do good, better.